I will confess two things up front:
1. This is totally not my recipe, but in fact is the creation of Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, herself. Ina is my almost 11 year old daughter's hero! I think if she met her she would melt in a puddle like hot Jello, but that's another post!
2. I have only made this one time. I am usually in a hurry, and occasionally lazy, so I most often serve my Green Goddess straight from that good ole' Kraft bottle, and it is really good, but this... this is DIVINE!
Try it sometime when you're in one of those moods...you know the creative, "I-am-the-next-Martha-Stewart" (well, all except for the going to prison part, but that too is another post!) moods. (you get those too, right?)
Ina's Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 cup good mayonnaise (Ina uses Hellman's. I'm a Duke girl, but only when it comes to mayo!)
- 1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (6 to 7 scallions)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste (don't be afraid of this...it makes for a delicious salad dressing full of flavor!)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sour cream and process just until blended. (If not using immediately, refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve.)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.